When I wake up my mind is either racing ahead through the day’s agenda or still in a daze wondering how the night slipped by so quickly. I cannot remember ever assessing the state of my heart when the alarm goes off.
Would my day be any different, if I imagined God asking me this question when I arose, “Rus, how is it with your heart this morning?” (1)
If I answered:
- “Lord, my heart is anxious for the day …..
- “Lord, my heart is weary from burdens ….
- “Lord, my heart is troubled by yesterday’s news ….
Wouldn’t God respond with these words?
- “Seek me first …
- “Come to me all you who are weary ….
- “Be still and know that I am God ….
I believe He would.
His words, His presence, His compassion would fill my heart. Then my day would be different because it began with words from my Lord.
Joseph Parker once wrote, “The face is made every day by its morning prayer.” (2)
This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24